Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thoroughly Juiced

This weekend we attempted to start a 10-Day Juice Fast. We purchased a (thankfully inexpensive) juicer, and about a $100 worth of fruits and vegetables, of which we were going to, supposedly, drink for the next 10 days.

We made it two. Though usually wonderful in difficult situations, my honey caved like a bad souffle. Without my support system, I was not far behind him. We were hungry, we were grouchy, we were thoroughly juiced. When I told him bright and early on Day 3 I was done, he hugged me like I'd just brought his guinea pig back to life and left her squeaking on his pillow. RIP, Simon.

But I did learn something, and I did lose 3lbs, in addition to actually feeling pretty awesome about my body, post-juice fiasco. The thing I learned was that I can do this. I can eat well, exercise, and become healthy and fit. I just have to set my mind to it. I also learned -- torturing yourself to lose weight isn't healthy and rarely works. And it won't matter how much weight you lose. If you feel awful doing it, you'll just want to cheat, and cheating makes the effect you're going for null if not reversed, and then you'll feel even more awful.

Push yourself, but don't torture yourself. The honey is eating whatever he likes again, now, but then, he went into the Juicing a vegetarian. I am mostly attempting to stick to the juicing ingredients, but I find I can stomach them a lot better when they're not all ground up together. I eat when I'm hungry, but after the two days of fasting, I find I'm not as hungry as before, and I'm actually craving good-for-me foods. And chili cheese fries. But those can wait. Got to get my waist-line under control first ;)

Be healthy, but be happy.

2 comments:

  1. I never could go on a juice diet. I think, in retrospect, it works better for someone who does NOTHING physically demanding in any way. Otherwise, you're just so starved for protein. But fasting IS a good jump start to changing your diet (IMO) because it sets your stomach up for something entirely new.

    For me, if I'm trying to cut back on things, I'll choose one thing to cut out, like maybe sugar, and then I monitor what I eat/drink. Or maybe I'll do the adkins diet for a few weeks and severely cut back on breads, but not entirely cut them out. The point is that you aren't utterly depriving yourself of everything good in the world.

    You sound like you're off to a good start, now that you've primed your engines with the ill-fated juiceing endeavor. Your body's all set for the better eating and not craving (so much) the bad but oh-so-tasty stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! And I do feel a bunch better (though still crabby as hell, but pretty sure that's just work getting under my skin), so something's working! Just loving my ants-on-a-log, and working my way through more fruits and veggies than I have owned in my LIFE, haha :)

    ReplyDelete